Sunday, February 15, 2015

What I've Learned Since Moving To Arizona


I’ve been in Arizona since the end of June. Here is what I’ve learned:


It’s really, really hot in the summer.   A beautiful sun everyday, palm trees, mountains views, a pool, an outdoor misting system and AC make it all OK. I’d rather have 3 months of blistering temperatures during the day and perfect weather the rest of the year than 6 months of cold and snow.  I don’t miss any of it. When the sun goes down at night it is beautiful. I think it has something to do with that “dry heat” thing.












The people here are very friendly.  However, most of the people I meet are not from here. I’ve heard that if you meet a native, it’s a red flag.

With so many different driving styles merging together, the roads are crazy and there are fatal accidents every day.  You need to be careful.


There are 5 seasons here.  Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall and Cocoon Season. All the seasons are wonderful.  Cocoon season can be somewhat challenging. It begins in October when all the senior citizens start arriving from all over the United States to enjoy the beautiful winter weather here.  You first notice it by the cars in the parking lots. Buicks, Oldsmobiles, Cadillacs, etc. Then it really hits you when you go food shopping.




We are living in the suburbs of the sixth largest city in the US. Crime is real and you have to be careful.  On the flip side, there are so many cool things to do.




It's the Wild, Wild West here.  You can talk on your cell phone, text and drive and you don’t have to wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle. You can buy guns everywhere without a license or permit.  Feel free to strap it on your hip in plain view or hide it on your ankle, it’s all legal. Some days it seems everyone is locked and loaded.  When neighbors get in arguments, it’s not unusual to read in the papers that there was a shootout.  Kind of like the OK Corral. I’ve told Shirl, no flipping anyone off while driving.



Desert takes an entirely different meaning when you realize there is water everywhere.






Scorpions are real and they still scare the *&$% out of me.  Yes, they can climb in your bed beneath the sheets.  You need to have an Arizona fly swatter readily available.





















I miss my son and Maria very much, but I really do love Arizona and I’m happy and blessed to have the opportunity to live here.






Last, but not least. Wherever you move, you take yourself with you.  Life is what you make it.