Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Two Cents From Your Average Jane




First let me say that I don’t purport to have all the answers.  I don’t even pretend to have some of them.  I’m not an attorney and I’m not well versed in the topic I wish to talk about here.  Some topics in the media cause a shit storm and just like everyone else I have an opinion.

I know that my family, friends, neighbors, co-workers and the majority of Americans are horrified and stunned about the recent tragedies that have occurred in Aurora and Newtown.  We ask ourselves why?  Why did something like this happen?  Were there signs?  How could anyone in his or her right mind do something like this? What can we do to prevent this from happening again?  I truly believe that no one in his or her right mind wants this to happen again.  We are Americans and we want this fixed yesterday. 

I question the knee jerk reactions that I have been seeing and I wonder why there isn’t a more thoughtful approach to the problem. For those that are in favor of gun laws, please hold off the attack.  Even though I enjoy shooting, I am not opposed to gun laws at all.  In fact, I feel these types of laws are long overdue.  I would gladly never shoot another piece of paper at a range if meant that no one would ever die at the hands of a gun. However, I don’t think changing the gun laws is going to be effective in preventing these tragedies from happening again.  

What I’m not seeing is a multi-pronged approach to what appears to be an epidemic of shootings in this country.  I use the word appears because I’m not sure if murders by firearms has increased, if we are seeing copycat killings or if the media is capitalizing on these two tragedies and publishing every incident involving a gun. What I haven’t read much about or heard on TV is the acknowledgement of the true mental health crisis in this country.  Again, I don’t have the statistics to back me up and I doubt the statistics on this topic would be accurate any way. 

If you don’t believe there is a crisis in this country, I invite you to take a look at your family, friends and neighbors.  Individuals struggling with different types of mental health issues are around all of us.  Undiagnosed and untreated, but around us.  Do you know someone that drinks a little too much?  Have you ever wondered why?  Perhaps it started as a way to escape something going on inside of them or in their life.  Drinking might have been a way to escape, not deal, self-medicate.  Now, I’m not saying that our struggling undiagnosed family members are going to go on a rampage or that everyone who drinks has a DSM IV diagnosis.  There is such a stigma about mental illness that many people don’t seek help. They go through life from one crisis to another struggling just to make it through the day.

It’s OK to drink too much in America.  But having a mental health diagnosis and seeking treatment …that comes with a price.  You will be judged and talked about. If you go for a job and have to reveal your medications because of a drug screening, you will risk not getting the job. I have a friend who is highly educated and had to disclose her medications for such a screening.  She was subsequently denied the job.  Of course, another reason for not getting the job was provided.  It’s easy to read between the lines on that one.  We all know that before a drug screening is done, the applicant is going to be hired pending the outcome. Thankfully, she found another company that recognizes her talent.  Yes, people who are mentally ill and treated can be productive, successful, talented members of our society. 


Then there are the parents who refuse to recognize that their kids have issues or refuse to deal with them feeling that there are no solutions.  Worse yet, they can’t afford the cost of treatment.  This presents an entire new set of issues. 

1.  The cost of medical care.  I know that some health insurance companies have a cap on mental health treatment.  Why?  Are these illnesses not real?  Would a health insurance company refuse to cover insulin for a diabetic? 

2.  Those who deny treatment for their children or refuse treatment for themselves.  I don’t know the particular laws regarding this.  From what I’ve read and heard, it appears that you cannot force someone into treatment for a mental health illness.  I’ve heard that there has to be a crime before this can happen.  I understand years ago, people who shouldn’t have been institutionalized were.  There are many horrific stories if we look back in history.  Really, does it take a crime to get someone to seek treatment?  Can’t laws be passed that have checks and balances so we don’t repeat our past, but take care of our present?  Why can’t educators be required to report unusual behaviors of students to the authorities if the parents refuse to acknowledge something is amiss? If a family member is acting in a way that isn't safe or concerning, can't we call a hotline?  

 3. The last thing I want to mention is security. Why is that I can walk into almost any school without being stopped?  I always hear that children are our most precious commodity yet we don’t treat them as such.  Times have changed and we need to change the way we do things. It’s time to secure our schools.  Major companies spend billions of dollars each year to protect proprietary information.  I can’t walk into my job without using an access card and passing a security guard.  I can assure you it’s not for my protection.  It’s for the mountains of confidential information that we have on the premises. We need to protect our children. 

Finally, for those of you who have guns and kids in the house, lock up your #&*#$& guns.  We don’t need any more kids accidentally killing themselves or going on a rampage.  Be responsible.  Please.