Sunday, September 12, 2010

Staten Island, Indiana, Michigan, NYC and Susan

Did I tell you, not only do I love Facebook, I love my IPhone?  I have to admit that when Shirl surprised me with the IPhone, I thought to myself, “What am I going to do with this?”  How connected do I really need to be?  I’m not really all that crazy about cell phones (we all know that they are used as tracking devices) and I loathe voicemail.  So, I smiled, said thank you and tossed the phone to the side.  Well, a few days later I finally took the IPhone out and began exploring.  Well, over the past year, the apps on my IPhone have changed my life.  I mean literally change my life.  How?  Here’s just a few and I mean a few of the things I can now do with little or no effort:

  • Find an ATM in seconds flat
  • Locate my car when I forget where I parked it
  • Divide the restaurant bill by three with a tip included. This can be difficult after a few glasses of wine.
  • Find out what movies are playing at all the theaters by my house or yours
  • Locate a Starbucks wherever I am
  • Read the NY Times or the latest book loaded on my Kindle
  • Lose weight.  I lost 8 lbs with “Lose It!"
  • Run a 5K with no problem
  • I can even access my facebook account. 
Hmm, FB on my IPhone. Why would I need that?  Oh yea, that’s what this blog is supposed to be about.

Let’s back up to last spring.   I was meeting my friend Ray in “the city.”  For those who are not from “the city” that means NYC.  Ah, you know…..The city that never sleeps, the big apple, my home, the best place in the world.  I had time to kill and I needed to find a bathroom.  So, I parked on 13th Street and headed to the GLBT center where they are always willing to accommodate anyone who needs a bathroom, a support group or wants to attend a date bait session.  It’s the only place that I know of that you can empty your bladder with a bunch of transgender women who know how to apply make-up better than any naturally born women I know, go to a group therapy session, join the lesbian sex mafia (no, I’m not a member) and find a date all in one visit. Always a win, win. 

So, while I was waiting for Ray to get out of work, I decided not to attend date bait (Shirl would have killed me) and instead pulled out my IPhone and logged on to FB.  Much to my surprise, there was a status from my dear friend Susan Cox aka Sue Carter.  Apparently, she was in town from Michigan sitting on the other side of the island of Manhattan sipping a beverage with her husband in an outside cafe.  Now, I would have had no way of knowing such a fact if Susan had not posted her status. I cannot tell you how excited I was.  A few FB exchanges later and we were all set to meet later that evening. 

From 1979 to 1983, Susan was such an important part of my collegiate years at Valparaiso University in Indiana.  We tackled the many challenges of higher education together. We worked very hard those four years.  I don’t know two women who worked as hard as we did at having a good time and graduating in four years.  My backgammon game reached new levels during that time period. We pledged the same sorority and eventually lived off campus with other sorority sisters during our junior and senior years. We drank quarter beers and were out almost every night. 

The Wizard of Oz took on a new meaning and pink became a very significant color.  We cruised Mound Street, went to keggers, ate at Sambos, knew every drinking establishment in town, listened to Devo, REO Speedwagon, Styx, Phil Collins, Journey, Fleetwood Mac (my Rumors album melted on her turntable in the sun), the Suger Hill Gang and many other artists.  Who could forget ....


I said a hip hop 
the hippie the hippieto the hip hip hop, a you don't stop the rock it 


We traveled to spring break in Florida driving her parents paneled station wagon filled with sorority sisters.  We had a few memorable trips to NYC and I loved going to her home in Michigan where her family treated me as if I was one of their own. Most of all, we laughed and had fun.  No, it wasn’t all easy.  We both had times when we struggled.  We helped each other though those times and I think we may have grown up a little.  Susan became the sister I never had. 


We haven’t always been the best at keeping in touch.  That doesn’t matter because whenever we do see each other it’s as if no time has passed.  The conversation always flows and we always laugh.  I have to add that Susan was in town for a writer’s conference.  She is a talented writer with a very successful career as a freelance writer.

So, later that night after my dinner with Ray, I headed to the East side and met Susan and her husband Mike where we shared a warm hug, great memories and many laughs. FB was the vehicle that made that happen.